9.2.06

Influences

I heard someone on television the other day talking about those people who have influenced their lives most. It got me to thinking along the same lines - who has "altered" how I think - who I am. In no particular order, and definately an ongoing proiject, these are some of the people who've shaped my being.

Edward Abbey - Desert Solitaire. This book really did it for me. I'm not exactly sure why; it's a good book, not necessarily a great book, in my opinion. And the only book of his I can say this about, and I've read just about all of them. It was just one of those 'things' that make the lightbulb go on in your head. Not a very good, or detailed explaination, but it's the only one I have.

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland. Before Hendrix I was like (probably) 99% of those budding hippies-to-be. White t-shirts, jeans, penny loafers, Marlboros, hanging out in the pool hall, getting in trouble with the cops on a nightly basis -- just generally being a juvenile delinquent. The music was pretty much top-40 am radio stuff. Hendrix... Hendrix was a revelation. Granted, it wasn't an overnight change, but I can definately trace the big change back to hearing Electric Lady for the first time

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home